After some quick actions of passers by, a man from Mahaska, Kan. is uninjured after his car caught fire on Highway 136 near 560 Avenue Monday afternoon.
Chief of the Fairbury Rural Fire Department Kenny Krause believes that there were some issues in the car’s electrical system that sparked the blaze that engulfed the car.
“The fire was going pretty good before we even got out there,” said Krause. “The car was totaled out. It started up in the engine area. By the time we were there, it was fully involved, so there was really nothing for us to save.”
Krause explained that it took roughly five minutes to get the scene under control when they arrived. He explained the agencies that responded to the call were the Fairbury Rural Fire Department and the Jefferson County Sheriff’s Office. Krause explained that no one was injured during the incident, thanks to the help of other people.
“If this happens, you need to get out as quickly as you can, because he was very fortunate that there were people behind him willing to help,” Krause said. “When the electrical failure occurred, the door locks wouldn’t work. So, he was basically locked inside the car when the fire started. Luckily he had the window down, so they were able to pull him out the window. Don’t mess around in these situations; just get out!”